Thursday 15 September 2016

Tickling Your Taste Buds with Taste Buchanan

I’ve been meaning to write this post for a couple of days now, but writing about several delicious treats while powering on with a fast day is pretty much unbearable! After the success of our first lunch date back in May, I’d been trying to arrange another meeting with Lis, a fellow blogger. Given our busy schedules, free time is often greatly restricted, so a second opportunity didn’t present itself until last Friday. With the original plan of burritos, I was initially sceptical of the last minute change to Taste Buchanan, but my opinion of the usual shopping centre food court has now changed for the better!
 

Marketing itself as ‘Glasgow’s first indoor street food hub’, Taste Buchanan offers an ever changing array of food vendors, much like you would find in a busy market or festival. The whole idea reminds me of the interesting and varied food offered in the likes of Camden market, but on a much smaller scale and in the convenience of a city much closer to home! Teaming up with StreetDots, a hi-tech street trading platform, businesses book a counter (or ‘dot’) and start trading, without the pressures of committing to a long term restaurant plan. As such, there is always likely to be something new and exciting on the menu, an aspect which I know will keep me coming back for more!
 
Emerging from the top floor escalator of Buchanan Galleries, I was immediately surprised to see all the usual dingy furniture and décor gone. In its place were bright colours and picnic tables, complete with little plots of astro turf for the ‘outdoorsy’ feel. While waiting for Lis, I had the opportunity to browse ‘the line-up’ of vendors on offer, although it was immediately evident that choosing would be difficult. I wasn’t waiting long for my lunch date, so after sharing my trademark awkward hug (sorry for the inadvertent neck nuzzle Lis), we headed off in the direction of the counters.
 
 
I’d seen a few other bloggers raving about the various choices and, after seeing the wonderful Korean chicken dish Charlotte (from Colours and Carousels) shared on Instagram, I initially thought Chompsky would win the food battle. Nomad Pizza had a tempting selection on offer, with a broccoli and haloumi option I knew would be perfect for my American friend, Gradie! There were also burgers on offer, supplied by BRGR (already a favourite in Glasgow’s West End), but it was my love of the casual hot dog which won on the day.

Surf Dogs is a new venture from sound engineer Martin Capaldi who, after travelling the world with a variety of artists, decided to bring home the wonderful tastes from his time in America. I fancied pushing my comfort levels and trying something a bit different, opting for the Mexican themed ‘Nacho Dog’. It arrived topped with a generous helping of chunky salsa and tortilla chips, smothered in delicious queso sauce. Not usually a fan of onions or tomato in particular, I forced myself to eat them, rather than picking it all off. While it was difficult to fit the whole thing in my mouth, the hot dog was delicious and I can’t wait to take Paul back for more!

 
Not completely satisfied that hot dogs were enough, we couldn’t leave without sampling the delights offered by Union Waffles. I thought it would only be sweet options on offer, maybe with a bit of bacon here or there, but they have completely separate savoury and sweet menus. When I saw the option of goat’s cheese on a waffle, I absolutely COULDN’T leave without trying it! Delivered with a generous helping of spinach and pine nuts, I was in my little slice of goat’s cheese heaven and I can’t wait to drag Sarahjane along on a future trip!
 
 
For alternative sweet treats, there is ‘Designer Cakes by Paige’, which offers a host of different cupcakes and cake pops – there are even ‘cake push pops’ as a quirky alternative! To top it all off, a fantastic sweet creation, honouring all the vendors who were part of Taste Buchanan’s launch, takes pride of place on the counter. It makes a brilliant display piece, but also highlights the wonders which can be created with a bit of effort and some coloured icing!
 
 
 
With the promise of Slàinte Mhath, a Scottish themed bar, opening in the near future, Taste Buchanan really do have all options covered – will you be making a stop there on your next visit to sunny Glasgow?

 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. Oh man this looks so so good and something I would love to try out and taste. The savoury waffles sound fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I have a voucher for a free waffle, so I'm heading back as soon as possible! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness how amazing does that hot dog look!! Its been ages since I have been in Buchanan Galleries so I feel a wee visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth trying again, I was surprised at how much a place can change! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh this looks so amazing. I love things like this. My children wold love all the sweet stuff! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to take my kids, I know my daughter especially would love it! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow. that hot dog looks so yummy! I'm visiting Glasgow soon so will have to check it out! xo

    http://rachelnicole.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for a pit stop after all that shopping, let me know if you try it! :)

      Delete
  5. OMG goats cheese waffle? You can count me in and the cake pops look delicious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goat's cheese waffle was superb, I can't wait to go back and try another flavour! :)

      Delete
  6. I only have one question...when are we going!? It all looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon my lovely work wife, soon ;) P.S. Please pick a non fast day! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my god, it all looks amazing!! I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every shopping centre should have a food court like this, totally reminds me of the wonders of Camden! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, those cakes are amazing (love the hot dog) and somewhere selling savoury waffles is always a winner as far as I'm concerned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something you often see, but savoury waffles should definitely be around more often! :)

      Delete
  9. This place sounds great and that hot dog looks ridiculously tasty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sauce was wonderful, really brought out all the flavours! :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig