Sunday 11 December 2016

Festive Family Traditions

I love Christmas, but it’s been difficult to get excited this year, especially with all the wedding stuff piling up! I’m a bit gutted that it’s already almost half way through December, and the most festive thing I’ve managed is a half assed attempt at erecting the 3ft tree and a quick blast of Christmas tunes on a trip to meet the wedding coordinator. Therefore, in an attempt to get back on track with my excitement levels, I thought I’d share a few of our family traditions with you…


My Mum’s Festive Food Hamper
 
Every year, my Mum puts together a fantastic collection of treats for the whole family to enjoy. At some point in November, she asks for her little wicker basket back, and then we wait excitedly, wondering what goodies are coming our way. This year, there was an enchilada kit, some Christmas themed pasta, a pack of my favourite cheesy puffy snacks in the world (M&S Cheese Tasters) and some Christmas Percy Pigs, to name a few things. There is also usually a tub of ‘White Chocolate Fudge Sauce’ hidden away at the bottom, but this year it was replaced by ‘Salted Caramel Sauce’, an addition that I know will definitely appeal to Paul! I’m sure my Mum didn’t expect this to be such a huge hit when she started it, but I’d think I’d cry if she stopped – it’s pretty much the only way we get any festive food in the house, Paul sorta frowns on me only eating mozzarella sticks for every meal!
 
 
Christmas Eve Boxes
 
Every year, on Christmas Eve, we all exchange a box packed with festive essentials to see us through until morning. I’d first seen the idea in a Facebook post, and the kids instantly loved it! It became a recurring tradition and also allows us to give the kids presents that don’t come from Santa. We give out the boxes on the afternoon of December the 24th and they each contain:
 
Pyjamas
DVD
Sachet of Hot Chocolate
Bag of Sweets
 
The children also get a bath bomb each, from Lush’s Christmas range, to use before they get into their new pyjamas. We all sit down to watch the kids’ new movies until their bedtimes then we get into our own new pyjamas and perhaps enjoy a whisky (or two) with our own DVDs. As lovers of Xbox, the boxes have been known to contain video games, but that all depends on what budget we have to work with!
 
New Decoration for the Family Tree

Okay, so this one hasn’t actually become an established tradition yet, but I’m working on it! Last year, we went to the Edinburgh Christmas markets and picked up a cute wee wooden decoration for our tree. I thought it would be a lovely idea to buy a new one each year and, when we are old, we will have all these wonderful memories to look back on. As a mentioned at the start of this post, wedding things have kind of been getting on top of us, but we will be at the Manchester Christmas markets later this month, so I’m sure we will find something!

What do you guys get up to at Christmas? Do you have any special family traditions?
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. 3 words: salted caramel sauce. Oh my...you've just given me another item for my Xmas wish-list -thank you! Love Xmas traditions ....I always bake marzipan mince pies that go down a treat. And of course we all stuff ourselves silly on Xmas day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE!!! Marzipan mince pies would go down a treat in our house - I'm not a fan, but Paul would absolutely love them!! :)

      Delete
  2. This makes me so happy and so sad!! Our traditions were to open one little present when I get home from midnight mass since it's technically Christmas Day! Then Magan would wake us all up so early in the morning, usually with coffee/tea in new mugs she had bought us. Then we would open all our presents, my mum would wait until we are finished to open hers because no matter how old we get she loves seeing our faces! Then the eating and drinking would commence ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, don't be sad, we've got plenty of work things to cheer us up! We used to do the 'one pressie at midnight' thing when I lived with my Mum, but I'm always too shattered to bother now - especially when the kids wake up so early! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my god that is so adorable! A Christmas Eve box sounds perfect I would like one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a brilliant idea for all ages, I can't wait to see what Paul puts in mine! :)

      Delete
  4. The Christmas hampers sound adorable, I always get PJ's on Xmas eve so I can wake up in the morning with them on x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started off as a pj gift idea, but when I saw the Christmas Eve boxes on Facebook, I couldn't resist! :)

      Delete
  5. Lovely traditions, we have a new decoration every year too. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what the Manchester Christmas markets have to offer, our tree is looking a little bare this year...

      Delete
  6. I went to the edinburgh markets last year too and bought a decoration. I am going again this year and want another one to start our own wee tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea, I love new decorations! :)

      Delete
  7. Aw these all sound lovely - I especially like the sound of your mum's festive food hamper, but that might just because I love food... Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's food, what's not to love?! ;) She always comes up with the best things to put in it, I'm already looking forward to next year! :)

      Delete
  8. Some years we have other priorities don't we. I can understand the wedding taking up all your time, but with these traditions you will have a memorable time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, next Christmas we will definitely be married, so I'm looking forward to feeling festive again! :)

      Delete
  9. I love this! Being French I don't have the same Christmas as the British and my family is not very traditional around Christmas, but I can't wait to have a family of my own create my owns based on tradition from France and from the UK :)

    Sandra x
    rustedbones.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely very exciting to create your own traditions, especially when kids are involved! We've just come back from Manchester and now have a new decoration for our tree! :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig