Monday 9 May 2016

The Readers - #1 Maestra

Reading has always been a passion of mine, however I’ve neglected my bookshelf of late. When my friend Lesley told me about her book club, I immediately convinced her into starting another one with me and Nikki (and Sarahjane for #2)! I’m also quite happy with my status of ‘Reader’ again as (in an academic environment) it suggests I have a better job than a PhD, ha!
 
The first book selected for us to immerse ourselves in was ‘Maestra’ by L. S. Hilton. New out for March 2016, this one had caught the eyes of both Nikki and Lesley, so we agreed it was a good place to start. I picked up my copy from Waterstones for £12.99, but you could probably get it cheaper, as the paperback is now available. It is also available on the Kindle, but I prefer to go ‘old school’ with my reading!
 

When it comes to choosing a new book, I’m always sceptical about leaving my usual comfort zone. Anything that doesn’t involve zombies or vampires often doesn’t appear on my radar, but being part of a book club will hopefully widen my search area and introduce me to some hidden gems of the literary world!
 
The book begins with a brief prologue (which I later learned was an excerpt from a future chapter) and immediately drops the c bomb – a particularly lovely swear word that always makes me cringe! After this revelation, I was not surprised when the rest of the novel contained various sex scenes and sexual references, although both Lesley and Nikki felt most of this was unnecessary – warn your grannies now!
 
The rest of the novel follows Judith Rashleigh, an art graduate employed in a London gallery, as she struggles to make a life for herself under a difficult employer. After a chance encounter with an old school friend, a series of events are set in motion, pushing Judith out of her comfort zone and down a path from which there is no turning back. Travelling across Europe, she is exposed to a life she could only dream of, but how far would she go to get what she wants?
 
The book is described as ‘the most shocking thriller you’ll read this year’, a statement I would mostly agree with. Throughout the plot, I was continually surprised by the various ways Judith responded to situations, and also by her complete lack of remorse for any of her actions. All major plot points were cleverly disguised and then expertly sprung upon me as I read on, unsuspecting. Despite having two months to read the story, I was done within a couple of weeks and would have been done sooner if work hadn’t got in the way!
 
While we all agreed that the continual twists and turns made for an exciting read, both Nikki and Lesley felt that the plot was a little far-fetched, with a lot of unnecessary waffle. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would give it 4.5/5! When I buy a book, I expect to feel immersed in its world and this book did that perfectly. For weeks after putting it down, I was planning my European mini-break and admiring all the designer clothing I wish I had the money to buy! There are even whispers of a movie adaptation, so I know it will be high on my list of future cinema trips!
 
Our next book is my choice and more suited to my regular comfort zone – ‘The Walking Dead – Rise of the Governor’ by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga. Join us again in July to see how this one turns out!
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

34 comments

  1. I recently joined a bookclub too and its been great for reading books that I wouldn't normally consider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's great! Definitely pleased with the results so far! :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good - will definitely consider picking it up! I love a good thriller :)

    Milly | Mini Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth it, I can't wait to read any sequels! :)

      Delete
  3. i really need to get reading more, i think i may look at joining a book club too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth trying, we're having a lot of fun so far! :)

      Delete
  4. I love reading too. I find it so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure this one was relaxing, I was more on the edge of my seat! :)

      Delete
  5. I really want to join a book club as I love discussing reads with people. Sounds like a good book x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not start a blog one with other bloggers, I know a couple of girls who do that and encourage their readers to join in :)

      Delete
  6. I have heard of this book before, but not read it yet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth picking up, I just hope you enjoy it better than my friends! :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a good book, I think I might have to pick it up as I love a good thriller! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's writing sequels, I can't wait to see how they turn out! :)

      Delete
  8. lol, I'm the same I love films with zombie and vampires. This does sound good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to like it at first, but it was a complete surprise and turned out to be right up my street :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a really interesting read, I wonder if joining a book club would get me back into reading. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely got me back into reading - the guilt is too much if I don't read the book lol

      Delete
  10. Now this sounds like my kind of book, I am always reading and always set myself a challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely entertaining and an easy read overall! :)

      Delete
  11. I really need to get back into reading. I used to enjoy reading different books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm struggling to start our next book club book, finding the time can be very difficult...

      Delete
  12. I have to admit it is the same here, I have not read a book in a while and that is all because of blogging and work. I need to start reading again. I do love a good thriller so I will bookmark this on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame we all get so busy, reading is such a great way of entertaining ourselves! :)

      Delete
  13. I don't normally go for a thriller, but this sounds very good, I'll have to check it out in a shop soon!

    MadeFromBeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not for everyone's tastes, but I really enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
  14. I do love a good book to read, though I'm not a massive fan of thrillers, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book clubs are great for trying a variety of genres, we are currently trying out horror for our next review :)

      Delete
  15. Ooh what a fab recommendation. Im away on holiday soon so will keep it in my amazon basket! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a good holiday read, especially with all the travelling across Europe that the character does! :)

      Delete
  16. This sounds intriguing!! I will be looking it up for my kindle. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how my friends bought it, they were saying it's much cheaper :)

      Delete
  17. Sounds like an interesting read. It's good to read something outside your favourite genre from time to time, I know I can get stuck in one genre if I'm not careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely been stuck in horror for a while now, this was a nice break :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig