Monday 3 October 2016

#BeEdgyGoVeggie at Hard Rock Glasgow

I’ve proclaimed my love of Hard Rock a couple of times now, and it’s gotten to the stage where my friends now look out for the cafés whenever they are away on holiday – even Lis text me a picture of one while she was away on her recent America trip! When I received an email invitation to sample the new vegetarian menu at Hard Rock Glasgow, I jumped at the chance – after all, as an ‘almost veggie’, I felt it only right that I should give it a go!


After a very polite email exchange with Alan, the Sales and Marketing Coordinator, I was booked in for my tasting session on launch day. I also persuaded Paul’s Mum to accompany me and, although I’m sure she may have preferred a more meaty selection for our lunch date, she was a great sport and sampled all the same food I did!
 
We shared a starter of ‘cauliflower wings’, which were a take on the usual buffalo style chicken wings, but with a vegetable substitute. Initially sceptical, I didn’t expect the usual taste to be hidden so well, but the combination seemed to disguise the cauliflower perfectly. I’m not exactly a huge fan of this particular veg, so anything that improves the flavour is a winner in my book! While I can’t imagine selecting this dish again over my regular potato skins, it’s a brilliant way to encourage the kids to eat more vegetables, although I think it would probably work better as an accompaniment to another dish, rather than a stand-alone starter.
 
 
Normally I would consider myself mad for selecting a vegetable I dislike for both a starter and main, but the staff were raving about the new ‘cauliflower burger’ on the menu! The patty itself was made from cauliflower, garlic, egg, goat’s cheese, oregano and breadcrumbs, and was served in a toasted bun along with courgette, squash, tomato, salad leaves and a slice of my favourite cheese – Monterey Jack. Not content without a side order of chips, I was pleased to see the seasoned fries which were also on the plate.
 
 
Overall, the burger was tasty and worth trying again. After quickly removing the slice of tomato – which is a food I categorically avoid at all costs – the whole thing seemed to work together perfectly. Cauliflower can usually be quite hard, depending on how it’s cooked, but this burger felt just as soft as any meat patty I’ve tasted. The combination of shredded cauliflower, mixed with all the other strong flavours from the ingredients, could easily lead you to believe you were eating something else entirely – I would definitely try it again if it made an appearance in the regular menu!
 
Not content with revamping the food menu, Hard Rock have also had a go at ‘veggiefying’ their cocktails. Given that my invitation also extended to a complimentary alcoholic beverage, I couldn’t pass up the chance to sample their ‘Very Veggie Tini’! A combination of cucumber, red onion, mint, lime juice and Greek yogurt, all shaken up with some Absolut Vodka, this was perhaps the strangest thing on the menu. It tasted more like the cucumber and mint raita, which accompanies many Indian dishes, than anything which resembles a regular cocktail – I can’t say I would have this one again, my brain was just too confused!
 
So, if you’re a veggie, or just not a great fan of meat, why not drop by the Glasgow Hard Rock Café to sample this interesting new menu? Running from today (3rd October) until the 13th of November, get in quick and sample some alternatives to the classic meaty selection - you may just be as surprised as I was!
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. You didn't say the burger had goats cheese in it!!! Now that's a winner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goat's cheese always results in a winner - can't get enough of the stuff! :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like the worst cocktail in the world. Give me a long Island Ice tea any day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was... interesting lol. The rest of the menu wasn't bad though, definitely glad I tried it! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the Hard Rock Cafe. The one in City Walk in Orlando is awesome, the pink cadillac is a cool addition to the decor there and Jimi Hendrix' guitar too. Oh and the food is fantastic, best burgers in the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are rolling out the veggie menu across a load of their cafes, so perhaps there is a veggie menu in Orlando too! :)

      Delete
  4. The cocktail description makes me want to run for the hills! red onion in a cocktail sounds a big no-no. I am not vegetarian but the rest of the menu sounds interesting. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cocktail was... interesting! Glad I tried everything though, especially the burger! :)

      Delete
  5. Love Glasgow! Just home from a recent visit.This post just made me hungry though haha. Makes me want to visit Hard Rock as I've never visited yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to visit a Hard Rock Café, I absolutely love them! It'd be great if they incorporated more of these dishes after the month is up, a lot of my friends are veggie :)

      Delete
  6. I love that they're doing more veggie options, as most things were quite meat heavy. I always try to visit hard rock when I go away x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of my veggie friends would struggle to find something they wanted from the usual menu. I think they are rolling the veggie menu out to a few of the cafes, so maybe it'll be there if you are going away again soon! :)

      Delete
  7. I have not been to a hard rock cafe in forever - I would definitely be tempted to try this menu once at least if I was there :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a go, I usually hate anything with cauliflower in it! :)

      Delete
  8. This looks like a good menu. It's good that a place like that is trying to find more options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm really pleased to see the restaurant branching out more, especially when so many people are vegetarian these days! :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds so great! I like Hard Rock Café, but ever since I went vegetarian, I stopped going to HRC or burger places. Nice to see there are more vegetarian options coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely much better than I expected! I'm not veggie, but I often lean more to that side given my dislike of red meat and fish :)

      Delete
  10. I am almost vegetarian - I prefer meat-free dishes more and more. This menu looks awesome - it is s great step. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope they keep some of the dishes once this limited edition menu is finished, it's definitely a step in the right direction! :)

      Delete
  11. I am a veggie and this cauliflower burger sounds epic. I would love one right now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty tasty Ana, pop on down to your local Hard Rock before the 13th of November and give it a try! :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig