Monday 17 October 2016

Family Lunch at The Riverside in Dunblane

A couple of weeks ago, we had another one of many visits to our beautiful wedding venue in Dunblane. On this occasion, we were fortunate enough to have Jackie with us, and she insisted on treating us to family lunch at a location of our choosing. I’d recently stayed in Dunblane with work, and had passed by a wee pub which I thought would be perfect – The Riverside Pub, Kitchen and Coffee House.
 

Situated on the banks of the Allan Water, which runs through the heart of Dunblane, it was only a short walk from our destination for the day. With its central location, not far from the train station, it’s easily reached by tourists and locals alike. We arrived close to 12pm and it (luckily) didn’t seem to be very busy. We were quickly shown to a comfortable booth (my favourite kind of restaurant seating) and left to browse the menu at our leisure.

There was ample choice on both the kids and adult menus, and Logan was pleased to see that they offered his favourite – macaroni cheese! Pairing that with a strawberry milkshake, served in a glass milk bottle, he was more than happy! Megan opted for chicken goujons and a chocolate fudge brownie milkshake for her lunch and Jackie chose an old favourite – the fish finger sandwich! Paul also decided on Macaroni (in an adult portion size) and I was torn between the same or a pulled pork sandwich. Remembering how tasty pulled pork can be on nachos, I thought this would be the winner and handed back the menus to the waitress.
 
Despite the relative emptiness of the venue, the service was very slow. We were already pretty hungry after dragging the kids out of bed super early, and didn’t expect to have any problems ordering lunch as early as 12pm. I suppose it is possible that we'd just turned up as the meals were getting started and, as such, experienced a greater delay than those dining a bit later. Nevertheless, our food eventually arrived and we dug in.
 
Logan was very happy with his meal - after all, you just have to mention the word macaroni and you know he’s going to have a good time! Megan’s goujons arrived a little on the crispy side and she was pretty disappointed with the ‘burnt’ taste they offered. Jackie’s fish finger sandwich was actually a battered fish fillet served between two slices of white bread but, despite there being nothing wrong with the actual meal, she did comment that it was not worth the £7.25 price tag.
 
 
 
When Paul’s macaroni was placed in front of him, I immediately regretted not ordering the same - although the small amounts of bacon you see in the picture were an extra cost of £1.50! He quickly dispelled my envy though – despite looking quite cheesy, there was no real cheese sauce and, in parts, he felt he was eating just plain pasta. His side salad, served in a cute wee colander, was also hot and completely put him off eating any more.
 
 
Hopeful that my pulled pork sandwich would live up to expectations, I removed all the excess salad leaves (I’m not a fan) and took a bite. Unfortunately, my pulled pork sandwich seemed to be just a wet lump of shredded pork with a similar consistency to tuna. The only sauce was a smear of BBQ on the inside top of the bun, and it meant the sandwich was somewhat lacking in taste. I got halfway through and had to discard the meat and replace it with some of my sweet potato fries, which thankfully were better than I expected.
 
 
It’s a real shame because The Riverside is a warm and friendly restaurant, and even has a selection of fleecy blankets if you choose to eat outside. On this occasion, I feel the food has completely let it down, especially when you take account of the prices which are advertised. I am grateful to Jackie for treating us to our family lunch, but I feel terrible that this was my suggestion – perhaps I will leave the decision making to someone else next time, but I don’t think we will return here unless there is a complete overhaul of the menu.
 
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
SHARE:

22 comments

  1. Won't be going here the night before your wedding then! :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame because it's such a nice setting, perhaps we were just there on a bad day... :/

      Delete
  2. The whole meal look so scrumptious. I hope you have enjoyed your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experience was spoiled by slow service and poor food, the one who really enjoyed themselves was my son... as I mentioned above.

      Delete
  3. I totally would have opted for the Mac and Cheese as well, especially with the addition of bacon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's just a shame the additional cost didn't provide that much bacon :(

      Delete
  4. I am sorry to hear that the service was slow and that your pulled pork was lumpy. The Mac and cheese looked much better, shame x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably have been happy with the mac and cheese, won't be making that mistake again!

      Delete
  5. Oh no - what a disappointment, for it all looks so yummy! I am always confused why service is slow when no one else is there...you would expect that the quality of food would be better for it too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Leigh at Fashion Du Jour LDN x
    www.fashiondujour.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what we thought! I maybe would try it again in the future, but I'll definitely be waiting a while!

      Delete
  6. What a shame that the food didnt live up to your expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there's another place I want to try, which is just up the road, maybe we'll go there next :)

      Delete
  7. Oh what a shame - it looks delicious but obviously isn't. How disappointing. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food looks really good! It's a shame it didn't taste that great :( But no, I'd be disappointed to order a Fish Finger sandwich for nearly 8 quid, and it's not even fish fingers! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know right?! They should either lower their prices, or greatly improve the food they have on offer!

      Delete
  9. Well it is a shame the food didn't taste as good as it looks and I would be disappointed too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, hopefully they improve it so that no one else is disappointed...

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a lovely pub. The food looks a bit on the heavy side, but it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a shame that it didn't taste delicious too, hopefully they improve it in the future!

      Delete
  11. It's annoying when somewhere doesn't live up to expectations. Hope you had a fun family day all the same :) Dunblane sounds like a lovely place for a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunblane is such a gorgeous place, I'm looking forward to exploring it a bit more on my next visit! :)

      Delete

© Tiggy Poes and Flutterbys. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig